Located in Fremont, Ohio, ProMedica Memorial Hospital has served the citizens of Sandusky County and the adjacent communities since 1918. In fact, our hospital was built with funds raised by members of our community on land donated by the family of former United States President, Rutherford B. Hayes.
Download our community benefit report.
Our medical campus features:
- 186 licensed bed hospital, featuring comprehensive emergency, inpatient and outpatient services
- State-of-the-art Weitzel-Kern Surgery Center, constructed in 2002
- Herbert-Perna Center for Physical Health, constructed in 2007 - featuring occupational health services as well as rehabilitation and aquatics centers
Community Health Needs Assessment
To help us better understand how we can expand our services to meet our community’s changing needs, we participate in a formal process called a Community Health Needs Assessment. All hospitals are required to conduct a CHNA at least once every three years and adopt an implementation strategy to meet the identified community health needs. We’re committed to the further requirement of circulating the results to members of our community.
View the 2020-2022 Community Health Needs Assessment Implementation Plan
View the 2019 ProMedica Memorial Hospital Community Health Needs Assessment
View the 2017-2019 Community Health Needs Assessment Implementation Plan
View the 2016 ProMedica Memorial Hospital Community Health Needs Assessment
View the 2015 ProMedica Memorial Hospital Community Health Needs Assessment
View the 2013-2015 Community Health Needs Assessment Implementation Plan
View the 2013 ProMedica Memorial Hospital Community Health Needs Assessment
To review a particular county’s most recent community health assessment, please go to http://www.hcno.org/community-services/community-health-assessments/.
To provide feedback on a ProMedica hospital community health needs assessment, or to request a printed copy at no cost, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In 1913, Mary Miller Hayes, daughter-in-law to the late President Rutherford B. Hayes (a Fremont resident), pledged $50,000 of her money, as well as her home, toward the construction of ProMedica Memorial Hospital. This gift, however, could only be realized provided the citizens of Fremont raise an additional $75,000 for the hospital.
The matter rested until 1915 when members of the community went into action. Over the course of six days in October of that year, a whirlwind fundraising campaign known as “Fremont Never Fails” took place. The campaign resulted in $99,672 raised in addition to Mary Miller Hayes' initial $50,000 endowment.
Construction of Memorial Hospital began on August 14, 1916 on land donated by Mary Miller Hayes and her husband, Col. Webb C. Hayes, second son of President Rutherford B. Hayes. The hospital opened its doors on October 4, 1918.
Today, ProMedica Memorial Hospital is a 186 licensed-bed hospital that continues to offer comprehensive, compassionate medical care to the communities we serve.