Diabetes and Nutrition Management
At ProMedica Memorial Hospital we provide care and support for our diabetic patients through medical nutrition therapy, as well as our nationally certified diabetes education program.
- Medical Nutrition Therapy. Our registered dietitian provides outpatient nutritional counseling to children, adolescents and adults. This service may be reimbursed from numerous health insurance companies. Counseling services may be for diagnoses which include cardiovascular disease, hypertension, diabetes, obesity, and weight loss. A physician referral is required.For more information call, 419.332.7321, Ext 3429.
Registered dietitians, RNs, pharmacists and certified diabetes educators provide care in class and one-on-one settings.
- Diabetes Education. ProMedica Memorial Hospital's Diabetes Self-Management Education Program is certified by the American Diabetes Association. Our education is a multi-discipline program that includes educators who are pharmacists, RNs, dietitians, and a Certified Diabetes Educator. Diabetes education can be completed in one-on-one counseling sessions or group study.
- Diabetes class includes: One-one-one initial assessment visit, introduction to diabetes with review of the disease process, nutrition management, medication information and review of complications of diabetes,provide teaching for insulin administration and meter usage.
- Diabetes Support Group. We also host a diabetes support group every other month at ProMedica Memorial Hospital. Health professionals lead each support group and cover topics related to nutrition, mental health, fitness, medication and more. No registration is required and the meetings are open to the public. Visit our online event calendar for dates and additional information.
Education and diligent monitoring are the keys to living well with diabetes. Trust the nationally recognized diabetes education available to you at ProMedica Memorial Hospital.
Our staff will help you learn to manage your diabetes. We will tailor your self-management training topics to suit your particular needs.
You’ll learn about:
- Diabetes disease process
- Nutrition management
- Physical activity
- Glucose monitoring
- Diabetes complications
- Goal-setting and problem-solving
- Psychosocial adjustments
- Skin and foot care
- Stress management
- Medical identification
The diabetes education program at ProMedica Memorial Hospital is recognized by the American Diabetes Association in accordance with the National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education Programs.
Appointments may be scheduled by either you or your doctor, but you’ll need a written physician referral to begin treatment. Medicare and most health insurance providers may cover the cost of diabetes education, but please call ahead to verify your coverage. If you cannot pay for these services, please let us know. We'll help you get the education you need.
For more information, call the ProMedica Memorial Hospital Diabetes Education Line at 419-332-7321 ext. 3501.