Am I a Candidate?
Bariatric surgery is life-altering, and the benefits can be profound. Find out if it’s right for you.
To be a candidate for bariatric surgery, you must:
- Be between the ages of 18-67.
- Be a non-smoker for at least three months prior to the surgery (and must agree not to smoke after surgery).
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or more (about 100 pounds or more over ideal body weight). Or have a BMI of 35 to 39.9 with serious medical conditions related to obesity that would improve with weight loss. Calculate your BMI.
You must also:
- Demonstrate certain lifestyle and emotional characteristics.
- Indicate the ability to make long-term dietary changes.
- Have the psychological ability to adjust to the physical, emotional, and social changes of post-surgery weight loss and major lifestyle changes.
Talk to your doctor about your interest in bariatric weight loss surgery. If you both think you’re a good candidate, your next step is to attend our free bariatric seminar in person or online.
I want to know more about the bariatric weight loss seminar.
Watch the videos below from the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) to learn more about weight loss surgery as a possible solution for treating obesity.
Note: Select videos by clicking on the playlist bar on the right-hand side of the video.