Being informed about the genetic likelihood you have for certain diseases is an invaluable tool that allows you to take an active role in your wellness and health care plan. ProMedica offers genetics testing at Toledo Children’s Hospital and Hickman Cancer Center at Flower Hospital.
Flower Hospital: At Hickman Cancer Center at Flower Hospital, a genetic testing program for cancer is available to patients with multiple risk factors. The program includes a dedicated medical director and nursing staff who have completed education and training in cancer genetics. For more information, please call Hickman Cancer Center at 419-824-1952.
Toledo Children’s Hospital: In cooperation with Cincinnati Children’s Medical Center, Toledo Children’s Hospital offers comprehensive genetic specialty services with a genetics team comprised of clinical geneticist, genetic counselors and genetic residents. Services include diagnostic evaluations, risk assessment, management, and treatment and care for children and adults with a variety of conditions.
Common reasons for referral are:
- family history of a genetic condition
- disorder with a recognized family predisposition such as cancer
- birth defects
- prenatal exposure to drugs or alcohol
- genetic counseling for recent diagnosis, such as Down’s syndrome or neurofibromatosis
- management of a known or suspected syndrome
- family or personal history of a lysosomal storage disease
For more information about genetics testing at Toledo Children’s Hospital, please call 419-291-5599.