Heart Care and Cardiovascular Services
The cardiopulmonary department provides diagnostic testing for patients dealing with heart and lung conditions. Diagnostic testing includes:
- Arterial blood gas testing
- Cardiac Holter and event monitoring
- Cardiac stress testing
- Electrocardiogram (EKG)
- Pulmonary function studies
- Respiratory care
Call 419-435-7734, Ext. 263, for more information about cardiopulmonary services at ProMedica Fostoria Community Hospital, or learn more about heart and vascular services at ProMedica.
The ProMedica Fostoria Community Hospital cardiac rehabilitation program provides assessment, education and supervision for heart problems. The program helps reduce the risk of further problems with cardiovascular (heart) disease. Cardiac rehab is a program designed to let patients with heart disorders resume active and normal lives within the limits of their disease. The program is a key part of healing and an important step toward a healthier lifestyle.
The program is for patients with angina (a heart condition marked by outbursts of chest pain) or those recovering from heart attack, open heart surgery, stent or any heart condition the patient’s physician feels could be improved with medically controlled exercise therapy.
Benefits of cardiac rehab include:
- Increase in energy level and spirits
- Learn how to exercise safely and the best way
- Ability to resume normal activities safely
- Understand how to recognize symptoms of heart problems
- Discover how to manage stress to improve your heart health
- Learn lifestyle adjustments that will decrease risks for future heart problems
- Boost of confidence for patient and family members
- Lower anxious feelings about managing heart problems
- Help quit smoking for less risk of heart problems
- Learn how to eat heart healthy
As part of the comprehensive program, a team of experienced professionals will assist you in the development of an individualized care plan. Your plan will consist of the following:
- Initial health assessment by cardiac nurse
- Pre- and post-functional exercise evaluation
- Personalized exercise prescription
- Continuous EKG heart-monitored exercise sessions
- Individualized risk factor modification
- Ongoing contact with physicians involved in your care
- Individual and group education and support
- Discharge evaluation and recommendations
The rehabilitation staff will schedule your appointments for outpatient cardiac rehab. A written physician referral is required. Medicare and most health insurance providers may cover the cost of a cardiac rehab program. Please call ahead to verify your coverage. If you do not have insurance coverage and cannot afford the services, please contact the cardiac rehab staff to discuss other options. Connect with cardiac rehabilitation services at 419-436-6809.