While many people look forward to the holiday season as a time of gift giving and family togetherness, others find the holidays to be more stressful than fun. If your stomach is already in knots just thinking about all the pre-holiday preparation you need to get done, be sure to take a deep breath and remember these helpful tips on how to stay physically and mentally healthy this winter.
To avoid those unwanted holiday pounds:
- Don’t starve yourself all day just so you can fill up at the buffet table at your family party. Eat a light meal before you go, then use a small plate at the get-together.
- If you plan to drink, intersperse alcoholic drinks and water. Your body will thank you for it the next day.
- Be sure to walk around and mingle, get up and dance, or play touch football with the kids to burn off extra calories.
To reduce that pesky visitor known as holiday stress:
- Make a list of everything you want to get done for the holiday, but only keep the things that are really important to you on the list.
- Allow yourself personal time to follow your regular exercise routine. The time alone will let you relax and refocus your energy on what needs to be done.
- Remember to get enough rest so you can enjoy the holiday season.