Autism is the fastest-growing developmental disability in the U.S., affecting 1 in 88 children. While there is no known cure, health care providers are making great strides in treating autism and providing support for children and their families. If diagnosed early, health care providers can work with a family to create a comprehensive treatment plan that is specific to their child’s needs.
Red Flags for Autism
If your child exhibits any of the following symptoms, contact your child’s pediatrician.
- No big smiles or other warm, joyful expressions by 6 months.
- No back and forth sharing of sounds, smiles or facial expressions by 9 months.
- No back and forth gestures (pointing, showing, reaching, waving) by 12 months.
- No babbling by 12 months.
- No words by 16 months.
- No two-word meaningful phrases (without imitating or repeating) by 24 months.
- ANY loss of speech or social skills at ANY age.
Support Autism Care
ProMedica Toledo Children’s Hospital Foundation raises funds in conjunction with the Great Lakes Center for Autism to support the hospital’s autism initiatives, including scholarships for the Autism Early Learning Program.
View the information below to learn more about autism resources.
To address the growing need for autism services in our community, ProMedica partnered with other local autism support agencies to create a community autism center, enhancing convenience and access to autism-related services.
Autism Early Learning Program
ProMedica Toledo Children’s Hospital and consulting partners believe that every child deserves the opportunity to laugh and play and to become happy, productive adults. Autism Early Learning Program is a specialized learning program to help children with autism reach those goals.