The Goerlich Center
A diagnosis of Alzheimer's or dementia is a life-changing event for both a patient and her or his family. You know that memory loss and cognitive decline will happen, and that these effects of the disease will require some difficult decisions in the future. More than anything, though, you want your loved one to be safe and comfortable. Both you and your loved one may be frightened or overwhelmed. The Goerlich Center is here to help.
Since 1994, The Goerlich Center has been providing a compassionate, safe and secure residence for patients with Alzheimer's and dementia on the campus of ProMedica Flower Hospital in Sylvania, Ohio. Because we are located on the hospital campus, you can feel confident that your loved one will have easy access to hospital care, emergency services, and other hospital services as needed. Our campus is designed with patient comfort in mind: if a patient's needs change and he or she requires a higher level of care (whether temporarily or permanently), we can assist with the transition to the appropriate facility-all without leaving the Flower Hospital campus.
Research shows that dementia patients who live in a controlled environment with a regular routine enjoy a higher quality of life than those whose daily activities are unpredictable. That's why we take pride in our calming, familiar environment and the daily activities that our residents enjoy. Not only do these activities increase our residents' quality of life, they also help slow the progress of the disease and help residents manage their symptoms. At the Goerlich Center, your loved one will benefit from the expertise of our team of dedicated professionals who provide medical care and psychological services. Our staff also includes a board-certified neurologist as medical director. Here, you know your loved one will constantly be surrounded by caring personnel who truly understand Alzheimer's and dementia.
ProMedica Goerlich Center caters to those with Alzheimer’s Disease and other forms of dementia. We provide care to those in all stages of dementia. We also offer medically supervised day and night care specially designed for those suffering from memory loss. Join us for a tour of ProMedica Goerlich Center. Click here for a virtual tour, or call 419-824-1250 to schedule a tour.View the facility tour
Goerlich Center Features and Services
The Goerlich Center is designed to provide the highest quality care and most secure environment to its residents. Please take a look at our features and services:
- We provide care to individuals in all stages of Alzheimer's and dementia.
- All staff is trained in validation therapy.
- Dementia-certified licensed nurses administer all medication to our patients.
- All nursing assistants are state-tested.
- The center has a high staff-to-patient ratio.
- Our patients receive consistent care by a staff member with a permanent assignment to each resident.
- We have cameras at all exits for added security.
Not only is our environment safe and our level of care superb, but also we take extra care to ensure that our residents live in peaceful, relaxed surroundings. Amenities include:
- A curio cabinet outside each room for personal mementos and to help residents locate their rooms
- Two enclosed, landscaped courtyards where residents can enjoy the outdoors safely
- Enclosed secured grounds within with a gazebo and memory garden
- Glass enclosed bird aviary
- Large multipurpose room in each wing where residents enjoy meals and snacks and participate in activities
- Spacious family room for residents to gather with friends or relatives
- On-site beauty shop (additional fee)
- Wheelchair-accessible bus for off-site activities
Finally, we understand that sometimes caregivers need care, too. Our services include support groups, information resources and programs for family members. We will help you understand Alzheimer's disease and dementia and are available for private consultations.
Adult Day Care at Goerlich
Our facilities and staff are here for your loved ones full-time, but we are also here for those who may only need a bit of daily assistance. The Goerlich Center's adult day care program provides all of the center's regular services, 365 days a year. We can provide meals and snacks with accommodations for special dietary needs. For an additional fee, we can even assist with caregiving activities such as showering. Adult day care is beneficial to its participants, and it gives caregivers the flexibility they need for personal appointments, shopping, work and relaxation.
If you would like more information on Alzheimer's / dementia services or adult day care at The Goerlich Center, or if you would like to schedule a personal tour of the facility, please don't hesitate to call us at 419-824-1250.